http://www.one.org
Jax Place
"For Our Feature Presentation"
Thursday, February 05, 2004
Grammys
Grammys

The 46th Grammys are coming up on Sunday (Monday at Manila time). It seems quieter than last year. But maybe because 2003 was a slow year, musically. I don't think any artist stood out from among the rest. well except for Maksim, probably but he's mostly known here in Asia and Europe, I think, and not in the US. In fact, the Philippines had a better year, musically, for 2003 what with the influx of acoustic and alternative musicians.

Nominees have been announced since last year and it seems to be a repeat of the 44th Grammys when "newbies" mostly dominated it.

Here are my thoughts, not predictions.

1. Record of the Year

"Crazy in Love," Beyonce featuring Jay-Z
"Where Is the Love?" Black Eyed Peas and Justin Timberlake
"Clocks," Coldplay
"Lose Yourself," Eminem
"Hey Ya!" OutKast.

They're all good. I'm not a fan of all of them (Just Black Eyed Peas and Coldplay) but all of the nominated songs are good. But I think I'd want to give this award to, either, Coldplay or OutKast. The other songs simply do not have enough enthusiasm and oomph! surrounding it. "Crazy in Love" is so dull and "Lose Yourself" is so redundant. "Where is the Love?" is just okay, not great but okay. "Clocks" and "Hey Ya!" have the star quality, IMO.

2. Album of the Year

"Under Construction," Missy Elliott
"Fallen," Evanescence
"Speakerboxxx/The Love Below," OutKast
"Justified," Justin Timberlake
"Elephant," The White Stripes.

Okay. I'm going to have be pretty biased here since I only have two of the five: Fallen and Justified. Fallen is way better.

3. Song of the Year

"Beautiful," Linda Perry (Christina Aguilera)
"Dance With My Father," Richard Marx and Luther Vandross (Luther Vandross)
"I'm With You," Avril Lavigne and The Matrix (Avril Lavigne)
"Keep Me in Your Heart," Jorge Calderon and Warren Zevon (Warren Zevon)
"Lose Yourself," J. Bass, M. Mathers and L. Resto (Eminem ).

Beautiful tops my list. This is, I think, Aguilera's best song since the start of her career...so far.

4. New Artist

Evanescence
50 Cent
Fountains of Wayne
Heather Headley
Sean Paul

No doubt about it. Evanescence is my vote.

5. Female Pop Vocal Performance
"Beautiful," Christina Aguilera
"Miss Independent," Kelly Clarkson
"White Flag," Dido
"I'm With You," Avril Lavigne
"Fallen," Sarah McLachlan

I'm happy with either Christina Aguilera or Sarah Maclachlan.

6. Pop Collaboration With Vocals
"Can't Hold Us Down," Christina Aguilera and Lil' Kim
"La Vie En Rose," Tony Bennett and k.d. lang
"Gonna Change My Way of Thinking," Bob Dylan and Mavis Staples
"Feel Good Time," Pink featuring William Orbit
"Whenever I Say Your Name," Sting and Mary J. Blige

It's down to two for me: "Can't Hold Us Down" or "Feel Good Time"

7. Pop Vocal Album

"Stripped," Christina Aguilera
"Brainwashed," George Harrison
"Bare," Annie Lennox
"Motown," Michael McDonald
"Justified," Justin Timberlake

I'm giving this to one person only: Annie Lennox for "Bare".

8. Dance Recording

"Love One Another," Cher
"Easy," Groove Armada
"Die Another Day," Madonna
"Come Into My World," Kylie Minogue
"Breathe," Telepopmusik.

Madonna's "Die Another Day" is really, um, dance-able. And so is Telepopmusik's "Breathe". Hmm. I think I'll give it to Madonna. "Breathe" can still be considered as music that's playing in the background while you sit down on a couch and talk to your friends. While you can't help but dance to "Die Another Day". But you know what? I'm torn. I'm fine with either of the two.

9. Female Rock Vocal Performance

"Are You Happy Now?" Michelle Branch
"Losing Grip," Avril Lavigne
"Trouble," Pink
"Time of Our Lives," Bonnie Raitt
"Righteously," Lucinda Williams

"Trouble" definitely.

10. Hard Rock Performance

"Like a Stone," Audioslave
"Bring Me to Life," Evanescence featuring Paul McCoy
"Straight Out of Line," Godsmack
"Just Because," Jane's Addiction
"Go With the Flow," Queens of the Stone Age

Omigosh. Audioslave redefined hard rock with their performance of "Like A Stone".

11. Rock Album

"Audioslave," Audioslave
"Fallen," Evanescence
"One by One," Foo Fighters
"More Than You Think You Are," matchbox twenty
"The Long Road," Nickelback

Evanescence takes this one.

There are 105 nominations but of course I don't have a radio glued to my ear. I only posted my thoughts on the categories and music that I am familiar with.

Obviously, I have nothing to say so please bear with me.
posted by Jax @ 12:31:00 AM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Jax
Home: San Francisco, CA, United States
About Me:
See my complete profile
I am a freelance writer, editor and blogger.
I write from home and I write from the
coffee shop I manage. I am also a graduate
student at AAU, studying film.
I have never been more stressed in my life.
And I am loving it!
To know me and more about my writing services, drop me a line at
jtabergas [at] yahoo [dot] com.
Meanwhile, read some of my works here:
  • HubPages
  • The Movie Space
  • Couch Tuber
  • Flick Rev
  • Good Life Review
  • 'Bout Books
  • Afterthoughts
  • Powered by FeedBurner

    Add to Google Reader or Homepage
    Subscribe in NewsGator Online
    Entertainment & Lifestyle - Top Blogs Philippines

    Enter your email address:

    Delivered by FeedBurner

    Previous Post
    Affiliates

    Barnes & Noble Recommends 120x90

    Archives
    Links
    Powered by

    BLOGGER


    blog search directory
    Listed in LS Blogs


    Personal Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory

    Blogarama - The Blog Directory
    Pinoy-Blogs.com
    Pinoy Blog Directory
    Pinoy Hot Blogs
    Blog Flux Directory
    Personal Blogs - Blog Top Sites
    Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

    Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.