|These are personal reviews of all the movies I watched for the first time in 2004. See if you share the same opinions!
1. 21 Grams - Sean Penn two Best Actor nominations at last year's Oscars. One nomination was for this movie. Naomi Watts also received a Best Actress nomination for her portrayal of a widower who felt the only solution for her problems was revenge on Benicio del Toro's character. And incidentally, del Toro also received a Best Supporting Actor nomination for his portrayal of an ex-convict struggling to have a better life. Although the actors were great in this movie, I couldn't help but compare this with the director's first movie, which was a really exceptional film. I found myself struggling to finish the movie and was just really utterly bored with it. Although confident, I just felt Amores Perros was a better movie.
2. 50 First Dates - I loved the tandem of Drew Barrymore and Adam Sandler in The Wedding Singer. They were funny, sweet, lovable and believable. That maybe why I was looking forward to watching this movie. I was actually expecting a pale comparison to the first movie and was prepared to just enjoy the actors' comfortable tandem. But it was a good movie. And funny. Henry (Sandler) was such a sweet, sweet character, it was hard not to love them.
3. A Wrinkle In Time - This is one of my favorite books and I was quite excited to see this on the small screen (it was a TV movie). It wasn't quite what I was expecting. It was still different from the book. It was a good production but it wasn't in tune with what I imagined it would be. But I heard there's another production in the works so I'm quite looking forward to that.
4. Alien vs Predator - I'll try to break it gently. AVP was not a very good movie. I was bored to tears. I couldn't wait to get out of the theater. I just wanted to go home and sleep. That's one movie I will never see again.
5. America's Sweethearts - I
like Julia Roberts and I like John Cusack but this just doesn't work for them. Maybe if it was a different movie, I'd like their combination. But I didn't. That's why I don't recommend this.
6. An American in Paris - I love this movie! Gene Kelly was such a smooth talker in this movie and any girl will be crazy not to fall in love with him in this movie.
7. Ang Huling Birhen sa Lupa - Why this movie won Best Picture, I will never know.
8. Annie - A shorter version of the original Annie, it was a good production for a TV movie. But, IMO, deprived the yougner viewers of the joy that Annie the musical is.
9. Bad Boys II - Martin Lawrence and Will Smith are back! It's still enjoyable. It's still funny. It's still heart-pounding. It's still an adrenaline-pumping movie.
10. Bend It Like Beckham - I never thought I'd enjoy this as much as I did. But I did! *grin* Lines are very witty and the storyline's quite unique. I'm looking forward to watching another movie by this writer and director.
You can read the rest of the movies here
Labels: american idol, movies, surveys