http://www.one.org
Jax Place
"For Our Feature Presentation"
Tuesday, February 21, 2006
I was talking to my sister about a story my friend told me when she was still in the food industry, about putting up a corner in the resto where a certain individual talks to different guests about various topics and calling the corner "Conversations with *certain individual's name*".

Funny concept. But when I told my sister about it, she was almost tempted to do that at our store. It'll be me or her, though, talking to the guests about nothing,
anything and everything. It'll be fun and uit'll be a great way to get to know our guests. I think the only problem will be if the guests will like the idea.

***

I was in ATC last Friday and was able to catch two new movies.

First up was Brokeback Mountain starring Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal and directed by Ang Lee. I am such a big fan of Ang Lee and I was not going to pass up watching this movie. I tell you, it's really hard when you have strong expectations from a movie because 8 times out of 10, you will be disappointed. I tried so hard to make sense of the whole movie, which is hard not to because it was terribly simple, and to just enjoy it. But how can you enjoy a movie that is so anti-climactic? It's really sad because all the actors were exceptional. It was the
perfect vehicle for them to come out of their shell, especially for Michelle Williams and Anne Hathaway, who played the cowboys' wives. And in the end, you ask
yourself, what have I learned from this movie? Hmm... That sheep should never be left alone in the woods at night? That my business is my business and is not yours?
That fishing trips are not what you think they are?

****SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!!!****
Ang Lee loves characted-driven stories and Brokeback Mountain is one but you gotta have a story, too. It's supposed to be a movie about two gay comboys living in
1960s America where everybody did not understand and shunned the gay lifestyle. But it was never clear in the film that society shunned the gay lifestyle. But the
only indication of this was near the end when something terrible happened to one of the characters. And when one of the wives left one of the characters. Or when
their recruiter implied that they found a way to entertain themselves while taking care of the sheeps.

Ennis and Jack had to hide their lifestyle and relationship. But from who? Their wives? Their families? We can see that. But who else? Was there anyone else?
Who was it?

Maybe I just need to watch it again, you know? So I can really watch it with an open mind. But if this is it, then I'm just terribly disappointed. And if this winds as Best Picture at the Oscars, well, it will be travesty.

***

The second movie that I watched was the Close-Up movie for Valentines, Close To You starring John Lloyd Cruz, Bea Alonzo and Sam Milby and directed by Cathy Garcia-
Molina.

Let me just start off by saying that I wasn't expecting this movie to be a fullhouse at ATC but it was! And there was even a line outside the cinema waiting to go in!

I wasn't in the mood for the other movies that time so I decided to watch this movie since some people said it was a very good movie that was really light and funny.

And it really was. John Lloyd was particularly good here. He was the perfect best friend to Marianne (Bea Alonzo). All the acting looked and felt so natural. And
it also helped that a lot of people can relate to the story in so many ways.

The story was well-written. The progression between scenes never felt stifled or pilit. Everything in its own time. And the lines! The lines were so
funny!

I'd definitely watch this again! In a way, it's still the typical romantic comedy but, unlike the other Pinoy romantic comedies, it didn't try to become someone else.
It just told it like it is which is always better.

***

Next up on my Movies To Watch list is Syriana, Munich, Capote, Nanny McPhee, Nasaan Si Francis? and Fearless.

Ack! I hope I have enough money to watch all those!

Labels: ,

posted by Jax @ 8:49:00 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Jax
Home: San Francisco, CA, United States
About Me:
See my complete profile
I am a freelance writer, editor and blogger.
I write from home and I write from the
coffee shop I manage. I am also a graduate
student at AAU, studying film.
I have never been more stressed in my life.
And I am loving it!
To know me and more about my writing services, drop me a line at
jtabergas [at] yahoo [dot] com.
Meanwhile, read some of my works here:
  • HubPages
  • The Movie Space
  • Couch Tuber
  • Flick Rev
  • Good Life Review
  • 'Bout Books
  • Afterthoughts
  • Powered by FeedBurner

    Add to Google Reader or Homepage
    Subscribe in NewsGator Online
    Entertainment & Lifestyle - Top Blogs Philippines

    Enter your email address:

    Delivered by FeedBurner

    Previous Post
    Affiliates

    Barnes & Noble Recommends 120x90

    Archives
    Links
    Powered by

    BLOGGER


    blog search directory
    Listed in LS Blogs


    Personal Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory

    Blogarama - The Blog Directory
    Pinoy-Blogs.com
    Pinoy Blog Directory
    Pinoy Hot Blogs
    Blog Flux Directory
    Personal Blogs - Blog Top Sites
    Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

    Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.